Writer has everything you would expect from a modern word processor or desktop publisher.
- Produce any document from a quick letter to an entire novel. Documents with diagrams, indexes, bibliographical references, etc. are easy.
- Create and edit web pages with Writer’s WYSIWYG editor.
- Wizards feature stores standard documents such as faxes or agendas, and more complex tasks like mail merges. Users can also download or create additional templates.
- Documents can be published in several sharing formats – PDF, HTML for export to the Web or in MediaWiki for publishing Wikis. Advanced notes function allows several users to comment and edit documents, even within different software formats.
- Many features mirror Microsoft Word or WordPerfect and are familiar to users.
- Superior compatibility allows Microsoft Word users to open documents. OpenOffice documents are saved in OpenDocument format, the new international standard for office documents .